Friday, August 12, 2011

Things That Annoy Me #1 - Incorrectly Used Punctuation

Why cant people use punctuation correctly? I've been plagued by this pet peeve for as long as I have known what punctuation is. Here are the top three most annoying punctuation common errors/misuses:

3. The exclamation mark. When should it be used? Well, as the name denotes, only when you have something to exclaim. And it should only be used once. I can't stand to see emails in which every sentence is ended with an exclamation mark. I can't help but visualize the sender of the email bursting with excitement as they exclaim every sentence that I read. Nor can I stand it when the number of exclamation marks exceeds one.


2. Quotation marks. It seems that makers of public signage feel the need to put emphasis on certain words by using quotation marks. However, it always ends up coming across as being sarcastic, sounding really dirty, or like they are winking at you as if to say "you know what I mean...". I always imagine someone making the bunny ears motion with their hands. When I see quotation marks used this way, I make pretty serious judgments about the intelligence of whoever wrote it.





An example of #3 and #2 used in a deadly, idiotic combination:


1. Apostrophe used for a plural. Every time I see this misusage, part of me dies.




Ugh. I'm going to have nightmares about those apostrophes...

2 comments:

  1. "Great" blog post's, Cullen!!!

    (Okay, that was a little cruel. Really do like your blog, pal.)

    ReplyDelete