Friday, August 26, 2011

Things That Annoy Me #5 - Twitter Used Incorrectly



I started using twitter during the beginning of this summer. I wasn't sure what exactly i was looking for -- I already had a facebook and who needs two social networking sites, right?

Well, that's the problem with half the twitter users out there. They use their twitter accounts the same way they use their facebook accounts.

Well, here's a news flash - ITS NOT FACEBOOK. It isn't a competition to gain followers, it shouldn't be used as a "status update" a la facebook, and you should not be chatting with your friends on it.


I get a lot of people who follow me and have their description set to "follow me back" or some moronic variation of it. For those of you who don't know, your twitter description is designed to allow you to give a short summary of yourself in 160 characters or less. Sorry, but "follow me back" is not a description of yourself. Well, sort of. When I see this, I immediately understand that this twitter user is a self-conscious looser who still looks at his/her social life from the standpoint of a second grader- who's "popular" and who's "an outcast" (Ah, second grade. Good times...) Even more annoying is when a user's tweets consist only of begging people to follow them. First of all, the only people able to see those tweets are your followers, and second, is that really the only thing you have to say? "Follow me?" Is your life that uninteresting? Well, if your life revolves around measuring your self-worth by the number of people following you I assume that the only interesting thing you have to say is "leaving my house for the first time in a few days- man the sun is bright. Caint wait to get back to my computer!!! #imaloser"

The rest of my twitter annoyances don't quite match up to the one above, but they are still annoying nonetheless:

1. Don't tell me what you are doing right now. I don't care that you "izz chillin wit da boyz." If it isn't something that you would actually share as an interesting topic in a conversation, then it should not appear on my timeline.

2. The amount of blue in your tweet should be minimal. And by blue I mean anything that appears in blue font, including mentions and hashtags. Example? Okay:

3. Don't tweet saying how busy you are, how many emails you have to check, or that you are having so much fun at (insert name of club or bar here). Why? Because if you are busy then you wouldn't be tweeting, how about you check those emails instead of wasting your time on twitter, and if you are having so much fun then why are you taking your time to tweet? By yourself? In that corner?
4. If you dont tweet at all or tweet every minute of the day, I unfollow you. Cuz both are just annoying.

Here's my little rule for twitter: the number of times you tweet per day should be less than or equal to the number of cups of water you drink. If you are doing interesting things, you get thirsty, so you drink more water. Conversely, I hope you drink at least some water every day, so tweet at least four or five times a day.

Well, that's all for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment