Thursday, August 18, 2011

Finally... Lake Vermilion

View From the Dock. The Moon Rising Over Comet Island.

Here at last. The air smells like pine trees, the water slaps against the rocks, the sauna is heating up, and steak is marinating in the sink. Lake Vermilion. I have been coming up here for over a month every summer since I was born, but the boat ride from Grueben's Marina to our cabin never fails to take my breath away.

My great-great grandfather first came up here in 1913 and my family has been a part of this lake ever since. The lake itself stretches 40 miles across the heart of Minnesota's Arrowhead region and gets its name from the intense reddish glow that overtakes the sky when the sun sets.

I'd give a bit more of a background on the lake, but I don't really feel like doing much research.

Right now a sauna, a steak, a cigar, a drink, and a good night sleep beckon.

No comments:

Post a Comment